Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

A family member is allergic to alcohol--even if it"burns off" when cooking, baking etc. (Can't even walk into wineries for tours--gets sick) I have learned to substitute red grape juice for red wine, white grape juice for white wine--works fine. However, what do I substitute for brandy and other liquers? For beer?

asked by Reta Pavett about 6 years ago

Well, if the person is allergic to alcohol, you can't use vanilla or other extracts either! Most extracts are about 35 percent alcohol, which is almost the equivalent of 80 proof liquor! I believe they make a powdered vanilla or you can use a vanilla bean. Can't help you with the brandy dilemma! You make have to google for a substitute.

For brandy or liqueurs, depending on the recipe, I sometimes substitute apple cider or orange juice (whichever works best with the flavors of the dish), which I've gently heated to reduce. This concentrates the flavor. Then I substitute it at a ratio of 1:1. If the brandy is being used to deglaze a pan or to flavor a savory sauce, I'd use cider vinegar or sherry vinegar or champagne vinegar, again at a 1:1 ratio. This can affect the flavor somewhat, so I'd be mindful of that, and make other adjustments as necessary. ;o)