Milk for paneer won't curdle

I heated the milk to almost boiling then added lemon juice by incremental tablespoons, as I have done in the past. The milk thickened and "broke" very slightly but no curds are forming. It was whole milk, low pasteurized. Any fixes??

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Did you heat it enough; it needs to be at least 175F. I find I usually need at least a tablespoon per quart. If you are using fresh lemon juice, it may not be acid enough; if you are using bottled lemon juice which is old, it also may not be acid enough. Try adding a little white vinegar - just a little, since you have acid in already from the lemon juice.

gluttonforlife
gluttonforlife September 18, 2012

The milk was steaming, just on the verge of boiling, I used fresh lemon juice, then added a little white vinegar. All to no avail. Can I reheat and try again, or is this a wasted batch? Thank you!!

Panfusine
Panfusine September 18, 2012

The milk needs to boil, wait for that dome of milk to rise. switch off the heat and add the lemon juice. http://food52.com/recipes...

MTMitchell
MTMitchell September 18, 2012

Thanks for asking this since it sounds like the same problem I had last time I made ricotta. I assumed it was a problem with the milk (ie ultra pasteurized). Good to know the answer.

gluttonforlife
gluttonforlife September 20, 2012

OK, recap! I made this again today and let the milk develop the "dome", as per Panfusine, which happened at upwards of 200 degrees. I added in the lemon juice and it worked like a charm. Thank you!