🔕 🔔

Milk for paneer won't curdle

I heated the milk to almost boiling then added lemon juice by incremental tablespoons, as I have done in the past. The milk thickened and "broke" very slightly but no curds are forming. It was whole milk, low pasteurized. Any fixes??

asked by gluttonforlife about 5 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

Did you heat it enough; it needs to be at least 175F. I find I usually need at least a tablespoon per quart. If you are using fresh lemon juice, it may not be acid enough; if you are using bottled lemon juice which is old, it also may not be acid enough. Try adding a little white vinegar - just a little, since you have acid in already from the lemon juice.

367d3166 a466 4b67 a123 677d02f016b1  ls

The milk was steaming, just on the verge of boiling, I used fresh lemon juice, then added a little white vinegar. All to no avail. Can I reheat and try again, or is this a wasted batch? Thank you!!

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

The milk needs to boil, wait for that dome of milk to rise. switch off the heat and add the lemon juice. http://food52.com/recipes...

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

Thanks for asking this since it sounds like the same problem I had last time I made ricotta. I assumed it was a problem with the milk (ie ultra pasteurized). Good to know the answer.

OK, recap! I made this again today and let the milk develop the "dome", as per Panfusine, which happened at upwards of 200 degrees. I added in the lemon juice and it worked like a charm. Thank you!