🔕 🔔

yeast pie crust? Recipe please...

I need a recipe for a 'yeast pie crust' for an Onion pie from Quebec. All I can think is pizza pie crust, or is it supposed to be sweeter? Maybe French? Googling didn't show much. Any comments or suggestions welcome!

asked by BoulderGalinTokyo about 5 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

You might have already come across these in your search, but I found a couple options that could work:
http://www.cooks.com/rec...
http://versatilekitchen...

A yeast base is often used with the onion cake (Zwiebelkuchen) made in the Schwäbisch region in southwestern Germany. This recipe looks good to me--just about the way my grandmother made Zwiebelkuchen, although the finished cake should browner and more golden than the one shown in the photo. At any rate, you can use the recipe for the crust for your own version.

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

Lindsay-Jean thank you for your suggestion, looks like enough crust for 2 pies.

And Maedl, you use the word onion CAKE, which is also an interesting suggestion. I will try them both,
thank you very much.

The onion cake isn’t sweet--it is a savory dish, often served with Federweisse, the new wine that appears in September and October. It is definitely worth trying, though--at any time of the year. It would go well with a Riesling or Gewürztraminer!

Maedl, I thought the texture was cake but taste was savory-- that's why I found it very appealing! And thank you for your wine suggestions--very nice to have an experienced suggestion!