substitute for amaretto

is there something I can use to replace a tablespoon of amaretto in a clafouti?

asked by peach49 about 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Any other liqueur will do. If you want to avoid the alcohol, a tablespoon of apple juice. If you're really stuck, a tablespoon of water.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Almond extract's a great suggestion - but I wouldn't put a tablespoon in! Just a 1/2 teaspoon or so.

Other liqueurs - Frangelico (hazelnut), Galliano (spiced vanilla), brandy (particularly Calvados). A sweet white wine might also work such as sauternes, moscato, gewurtztraminer - these you could reduce 1/4c down to a tablespoon, and even infuse with a spice such as vanilla, clove, cinnamon or star anise if desired.

I do like the Frangelico suggestion. About the same alcohol content as amaretto. And yes, my first fall back would be almond extract.

Mark MacDonald

Was told to make amaretto sour, funny thing was my bar ran out of amaretto... Saved my ass here thanks so much Reiney saved me with the Galliano spiced vanilla substitute, personally I think it gives it a more textured Taste!

peach49

thank you all! great ideas

You don't mention what fruit you're using in your clafoutis, but if it's cherry, kirsch (non-sweet cherry brandy) is classic. If you want a nutty flavor to replace the amaretto, besides the aforementioned Frangelico, Nocello would be a good choice - delicious italian walnut liqueur.

thebunalsorises

I like Frangelico, it's hazelnut.