🔕 🔔

substitute for amaretto

is there something I can use to replace a tablespoon of amaretto in a clafouti?

asked by peach49 about 5 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

Any other liqueur will do. If you want to avoid the alcohol, a tablespoon of apple juice. If you're really stuck, a tablespoon of water.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Almond extract's a great suggestion - but I wouldn't put a tablespoon in! Just a 1/2 teaspoon or so.

Other liqueurs - Frangelico (hazelnut), Galliano (spiced vanilla), brandy (particularly Calvados). A sweet white wine might also work such as sauternes, moscato, gewurtztraminer - these you could reduce 1/4c down to a tablespoon, and even infuse with a spice such as vanilla, clove, cinnamon or star anise if desired.

I do like the Frangelico suggestion. About the same alcohol content as amaretto. And yes, my first fall back would be almond extract.

5c1e3b78 9b68 4375 96c0 a23a1aaedcee  fb avatar

Was told to make amaretto sour, funny thing was my bar ran out of amaretto... Saved my ass here thanks so much Reiney saved me with the Galliano spiced vanilla substitute, personally I think it gives it a more textured Taste!

thank you all! great ideas

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

You don't mention what fruit you're using in your clafoutis, but if it's cherry, kirsch (non-sweet cherry brandy) is classic. If you want a nutty flavor to replace the amaretto, besides the aforementioned Frangelico, Nocello would be a good choice - delicious italian walnut liqueur.

F55c808e 9df3 4926 bd09 09f0524a8690  p1030363

I like Frangelico, it's hazelnut.