🔕 🔔

Start & Stop Process

Can I stop & restart the cooking down process of apple butter if refrigerated in between overnight before starting the canning process?

asked by Staci Cripe about 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

It should be ok, except that I wouldn't can it straight from fridge. I'd stop cooking it now, before it's done, let it cool, refrigerate over night, and then finish cooking it before canning. Hope this is helpful!

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

It's a totally accepted process to cook your apples down into sauce first, then refrigerate and continue cooking down the next day. (This is when aromatics, etc, are added.) Food in Jars actually recommends to cook your sauce the first day, and reduce it into butter the next. Best of luck!