I need help! Can I open up sealed jars and re-process the contents? I didn't like the flavor

All jars are sealed properly, I just want my peach jalapeno preserves to be more spicy. Is it safe to open and dump all of the contents in a pot, and re cook them with more chilis? And then of course go through the whole canning process again with clean jars and new lids.

I made it about a month ago.

I just want to know if it is safe to do this!!

L. W. September 30, 2015
If you jam is fine other than being not hot enough, give it as gifts and do not worry about re-processing. Your recipients may not be able to tolerate high chile heat--something to remember. And you can use this as a learning experience and make a note to add more chile in the future, or leave the chile seeds and veins in for more heat. I'd add ground red chile (cayenne) if I wanted more heat.

Also, realize that re-processing your jelly may reduce or cancel out the jell, as the effects of pectin can be reduced by heat.

If you still want to try, please read what is at these two links and then consider your decision:
Hard jam/jelly: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_07/stiff_jelly.html
Soft jam/jelly: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_07/remake_soft_jelly.html

MrsWheelbarrow September 29, 2015
It is possible to reprocess, but only within 24 hours of the original processing.

ktr September 29, 2015
That's good to know. I had never heard that. May I ask why?

ktr September 26, 2015
You can reprocess them. Just make sure you use new lids and bring your preserves to a boil do they are hot when you put them in the jars. You can reprocess any canned goods but the contents will be softer after the second processing, so pickles don't reprocess well but jams and sauces aren't affected.

amysarah September 26, 2015
Someone with more expertise than me should weigh in, but I think it would be fine. I recently lost my canning virginity, and - very concerned about committing murder by marmalade - I researched what to do if the seal wasn't perfect, and reprocessing was recommended everywhere. I don't see why it wouldn't be ok, even just for flavor reasons.

sydney September 26, 2015
But, Emily, aren't the recipients going to be so touched by the effort and beauty of a gift of your homemade preserves (!) that at the end of the day the uber-precise flavouring (which is probably fabulous) will never be critiqued? Cheers, Zelda

sydney September 26, 2015
(I realize I'm not answering the question, but I'm awfully curious why you wouldn't just chalk it up to experience and add your spice when you're going to use the preserves instead of going through all the trouble of redoing, recooking, re-canning.)

Emily N. September 26, 2015
You're totally right, but I'm intending on giving them away as Christmas gifts, so I want it to be good!