🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Chia & Blueberry Muffins

950194a3 256f 4e84 8222 48201aa3bb9b  photo 1

I have a question about the ingredient "gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour" on the recipe "Chia & Blueberry Muffins" from Weird & Ravenous. If I don't care about making these gluten-free and I use regular AP Flour, do I still need the xantham gum? I don't want to buy a whole bag for 1/2 tsp.

asked by melissav almost 5 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

I think you could definitely skip the xantham gum if you try with AP flour. Let us know how you like them!

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Yep skip the xantham - its only function is to attempt to replicate gluten, which you'll have in your regular AP flour.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I agree with both the above -- good news, huh?! :) (not that I agree, but that you don't need xanthan)

B94f845a 74e5 4ca7 9d6f 4b6aff15c8f2  img 0184

Yes, we agree with the above! Thanks Sarah and Kristen. You could definitely skip the xanthan if you are using regular all-purpose flour. Let us know how they come out!

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Somewhere I read that rice flour requires more liquid than wheat flour when baking, so you might need less liquid.