A question about a recipe: Chia & Blueberry Muffins

950194a3 256f 4e84 8222 48201aa3bb9b  photo 1

I have a question about the ingredient "gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour" on the recipe "Chia & Blueberry Muffins" from Weird & Ravenous. If I don't care about making these gluten-free and I use regular AP Flour, do I still need the xantham gum? I don't want to buy a whole bag for 1/2 tsp.

asked by melissav almost 6 years ago

I think you could definitely skip the xantham gum if you try with AP flour. Let us know how you like them!

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Yep skip the xantham - its only function is to attempt to replicate gluten, which you'll have in your regular AP flour.

SeaJambon

I agree with both the above -- good news, huh?! :) (not that I agree, but that you don't need xanthan)

Weird & Ravenous

Yes, we agree with the above! Thanks Sarah and Kristen. You could definitely skip the xanthan if you are using regular all-purpose flour. Let us know how they come out!

Sadassa_Ulna

Somewhere I read that rice flour requires more liquid than wheat flour when baking, so you might need less liquid.