A question about a recipe: Cream Baked Endive with Bacon and Pecans

2b2ea32a 13d4 4d3a a666 597dd2a17fce  food52 09 25 12 7040

I have a question about the ingredient "flour" on the recipe "Cream Baked Endive with Bacon and Pecans" from savorthis. This recipe looks amazing but I'm living gluten free these days - what would you recommend as a sub for the flour?

asked by kellybones almost 6 years ago

You could use a gluten free flour mix like Bob's Red Mill or try corn starch

beyondcelery

It looks like the recipe is using the flour to make a basic roux, so I'd use sweet rice flour in place of the regular all-purpose flour. Sweet rice flour is gluten-free and you can usually find it in any store that carries Bob's Red Mill brand. There's also a Blue Star (mochiko) brand that I often find in Asian groceries. I like sweet rice flour for this use because it keeps a very smooth texture and doesn't gel the way cornstarch will. The end appearance and flavor is always just like regular flour. I'd use the exact 2 Tbls just like in the recipe. Good luck!

savorthis

Yes the flour is just used to thicken the sauce. If you make it with any of these suggestions, I'd love to hear what you did and how it turned out!

vvvanessa

I second beyondcelery's suggestion. Sweet rice flour is my favorite non-wheat flour to use for a roux for all the reasons she says.

CarlaCooks

I often use potato flour to thicken sauces when my GF friend visits (she is also allergic to corn, so corn starch is out). It works like a charm.