I have calamari squid that I just slice as wondering if there's any marinated that I can keep in while night before I portion it I don't wan

I don't want to use wine

• Posted by: Hani
  • October 21, 2012

Amanda Hesser October 21, 2012

You want something acidic? How about lemon juice?

Greenstuff October 22, 2012

Just remember that any acid will "cook" the calamari. That may not be what you want.

Reiney
Reiney October 22, 2012

Something like calamari is really not suited to an overnight marinade, particularly in acid like lemon juice (or wine). If you're wanting to save time, you're perhaps best off prepping the marinade, separately, the night before and then tossing it with the squid 15-20 minutes before cooking.

Amanda Hesser October 22, 2012

I was wondering about that, too. But since the original recipe calls for wine, won't it essentially cook the calamari as well? Do you think the original recipe is just flawed, or perhaps a ceviche-like effect is sought?

Reiney
Reiney October 22, 2012

I didn't realise there was a specific recipe...I suspect wine would affect the calamari in the same way. I'm skeptical of a ceviche-style recipe that calls for marinating more than a few minutes ahead of time.