I have calamari squid that I just slice as wondering if there's any marinated that I can keep in while night before I portion it I don't wan

I don't want to use wine

asked by Hani about 6 years ago

You want something acidic? How about lemon juice?

Just remember that any acid will "cook" the calamari. That may not be what you want.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Something like calamari is really not suited to an overnight marinade, particularly in acid like lemon juice (or wine). If you're wanting to save time, you're perhaps best off prepping the marinade, separately, the night before and then tossing it with the squid 15-20 minutes before cooking.

I was wondering about that, too. But since the original recipe calls for wine, won't it essentially cook the calamari as well? Do you think the original recipe is just flawed, or perhaps a ceviche-like effect is sought?

Reiney
Reiney

I didn't realise there was a specific recipe...I suspect wine would affect the calamari in the same way. I'm skeptical of a ceviche-style recipe that calls for marinating more than a few minutes ahead of time.