A question about a recipe: Thai Peanut Butter Cups

A39835e7 3deb 4a0d 9b9d ab1207fedf57  food52 02 21 12 8672

I have a question about the recipe "Thai Peanut Butter Cups" from vrunka. I can't find galangal at my local market. Anybody know of a good substitute?

asked by Marian Bull about 6 years ago

Some grated ginger will sub.
If you have an Asian market that has Thai specialties, they'll have galanga. It's sold frozen around here and I had to ask for for it the first time---now I know it's sold in frozen vac packs.

It's also great in Thai curries, pad thai, and coconut milk soup.

Another personal note about galangal ..I find it a much more 'earthy' powerful flavor than ginger. So if you find the real thing...go shy on it, it can be very overpowering if you go the other way around and sub galangal for ginger. Which is more 'hot" while galangal is more earthy/hot/ginger taste. Just a bit really shines...too much it's WTF? At lest to my tastes.