Philly: Farm Raised Organic Eggs

Anyone know where I can find them in the Rittenhouse Square area, other than at the farmers market.

• Posted by: ATG117
  • February 10, 2013

FutureChef
FutureChef February 10, 2013

Go onto the main food52 site and click on one of the partner sites called real time farms. I've found it to be really thorough where I live (/have lived). Great resource for finding local.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi February 11, 2013

Reading Terminal, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's . . .plenty of sources

usuba dashi
usuba dashi February 11, 2013

BTW, All organic eggs will be raised on a farm.

ATG117
ATG117 February 11, 2013

I think we're probably referring to farm raised in different ways. Neither Whole Foods nor Trader Joes carry the farm eggs I am used to getting in NYC from farmers markerts, Elis, or other specialty stores.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi February 12, 2013

No, I understand. You are looking at those eggs from small farm running around outside, Joel Salatin style vs an operation that is not idealistic as Joel's. Reading Terminal may have what you are looking for. If not, contact PCO (Pennsylvania Certified Organic)or PASA (Pennsylvania Assoc of Sustainable Agriculture) for a list of farms that may be selling in Phili.

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna February 12, 2013

You could try searching this site: http://www.farmtophilly.com/

Bill F
Bill F February 12, 2013

There is a place in Harrisburg that I'm pretty sure ships free range organic French copper Marans eggs.

LucyS
LucyS February 12, 2013

I would second trying Reading Terminal. What sort of eggs are you looking for? I find eggs at Whole Foods and other places with organic and certified humane stickers, but I understand if you're looking for something beyond that. I live in the Rittenhouse area too and I hope you'll let me know what you find!

The other thing you can try, if you're looking for the Joel Salatin style farm, is Wyebrook Farms. They are a sustainable, rotation-type farm, and they deliver to Cook restaurant, at 20th and Rittenhouse. I've gotten beef and pork from there, and in the summer when they have pasture they'll do chicken too. Really good quality stuff. I do not know if they deliver eggs, but no harm in emailing and asking. Check it out! http://www.audreyclairecook.com/farm.html

ATG117
ATG117 February 13, 2013

Thanks so much, all. I'll let you know what I find.