🔕 🔔

can I braise meat (e.g. pot roast) wholly on the stovetop?

I am currently without an oven, so am wondering whether some of the recipes that call for braising in a heavy pot in an oven could also be carried out on the stovetop?

asked by janecf about 5 years ago

I agree with Monita above and would add that a heat diffuser will help reduce the risk of burning anything on the bottom. There are lots of styles but I like the cheap old tin ones like the one in the picture.

6796253a a9e8 40f5 a274 6308cb425606  2081 default m

At least in my opinion the cook top is the best place to braise (unless it's an electric range). You can holder a steady simmer and it's easier to check the progress of the pot roast, and perfume your kitchen while you are doing it.

I prefer braising on the stovetop. so yes, you surely can braise successfully without an oven.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Another vote for stove top. I learned to make pot roast (the 'mother ship' of braises for me) that way, and find it easier to control than in the oven. Sometimes I do pop it in the oven to rewarm the next day, or to keep it warm for a short period before serving.