Braising without a dutch oven

I'm looking to make short ribs this weekend, but I don't have a dutch oven or cast iron skillet. What other tools can I use to get the same kind of result? My current plan is to use a skillet for the initial stovetop browning and then transfer everything to an ovenproof ceramic dish covered in foil to finish in the oven. My other thought was to use a stock pot for the whole thing and go stovetop to oven.

asked by Hannah W over 1 year ago

If you know the stock pot (including handles) can take the oven temp and fit, good.
Otherwise, use your first plan.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

You can braise in anything that's large enough to hold your product and is oven safe. I've braised successfully in everything from a beautiful Creuset to the cheapest, stainless stock pot. You just have to keep the temperature low and steady.

Agree with Mr. Layer Cake- not really a big deal. You can also braise on the stovetop; I do it all the time.

Ali Worthalter

Your first plan is fine. I don't have a dutch oven either and I've made successful braises usually browning the meat first in a skillet and then transferring to an oven-safe dish covered in foil. Let us know how the short ribs turn out!