🔕 🔔

Braising without a dutch oven

I'm looking to make short ribs this weekend, but I don't have a dutch oven or cast iron skillet. What other tools can I use to get the same kind of result? My current plan is to use a skillet for the initial stovetop browning and then transfer everything to an ovenproof ceramic dish covered in foil to finish in the oven. My other thought was to use a stock pot for the whole thing and go stovetop to oven.

asked by Hannah W 10 months ago

If you know the stock pot (including handles) can take the oven temp and fit, good.
Otherwise, use your first plan.

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

You can braise in anything that's large enough to hold your product and is oven safe. I've braised successfully in everything from a beautiful Creuset to the cheapest, stainless stock pot. You just have to keep the temperature low and steady.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Agree with Mr. Layer Cake- not really a big deal. You can also braise on the stovetop; I do it all the time.

Your first plan is fine. I don't have a dutch oven either and I've made successful braises usually browning the meat first in a skillet and then transferring to an oven-safe dish covered in foil. Let us know how the short ribs turn out!