🔕 🔔

Fix for lumpy frosting?

I'm making a cream cheese frosting, and blended the butter and cream cheese together, and feeling lazy, did not sift the powdered sugar before dumping the first cup in, and now my frosting is lumpy. Any fixes? Should I bother sifting the remaining powdered sugar or chalk it up to lost cause and embrace the lumps?

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked almost 5 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Thank you!

012dfbd1 43d9 417a ae27 f5cd7f65b8fe  img 0736

I often feel lazy -- and don't sift the confectioners' sugar. Beating well (I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer) takes care of the lumps -- given time and patience. It's also important to have the butter and cream cheese at room temperature. No need to embrace the lumps.

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

You could also try using an immersion blender (!) to whizz out the lumps, as long as the frosting is in a tall/skinny container.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I would advise against using a blender, that will render your frosting too runny and you will not be able to reverse that, no matter what.