A question about a recipe: Tuscan Turkey Roulade

2d6bdab3 4206 4c3d ac52 e428177251bc  default recipe

I have a question about the recipe "Tuscan Turkey Roulade" from HalfPint. How large (as in, how heavy) a turkey breast did you use for this? This is going to be on my Thanksgiving menu, so I'm wondering about the cooking time. (I'm concerned that if my turkey breast is larger or smaller than yours, the recommended time might not be right.) Thanks so much. ;o)

asked about 6 years ago

As a guideline - I've made a 3 pound turkey breast roulade which I roasted in a 400 degree oven. It needed about 40-50 min. This served 6-8 people.

Thanks, Monita! ;o)

AJ, I usually use a small breast, ~3-4 pounds. Because of the pork sausage, I check the temperature at about the 45 minute mark and pull it at around 155-160F to be on the safe side. Carryover heat during the resting period will bring the temp up another 5-10 degrees. I've made this a few times and it usually takes about an hour to reach a safe temperature. It will really depend on how big your breast is and as always, check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.

Thanks so much, HalfPint! Really looking forward to making this. Have begun building the rest of my T-Day menu around it, already. ;o)

Antonia... that question is moot if you use a temperature probe. If you don't have one, I recommend them... I resisted getting one for years and wish I had listened better. It removes all doubt about doneness.

Thanks, ChefJune. I do have a probe and use it frequently (it's built into my Dacor range); I asked the question for the purpose of planning my oven schedule that day, trying to get a ballpark estimate of cooking time as I juggle side dishes and desserts in and out of my single, not very large, oven. ;o)