My cheesecake crust got soggy from the water bath during cooking. Is there any way to fix this? Will it still taste good?

I just cooked my first cheesecake and cooked it in a water bath. I put foil over the springform pan as Thomas Keller describes in his Ad Hoc cookbook, but somehow water snuck in. My crust looks pretty soggy. I really don't have time to make another cake; it's for a party tonight. Is there anything I can do at this point to make it less soggy? Will it still taste decent? Thanks!

• Posted by: kahs
  • October 26, 2012

Jacqueline H. December 10, 2018
I just had this problem last night baking a cheesecake for my son's birthday. Beautiful cheesecake, but I took it out of the foil so a dripping pan :(. Not sure if there is damage yet, but I'm so disappointed already. I thought that was the foil's job! I wonder why we don't also use a trivet and keep the pan out of the water completely or put the water back on the bottom rack. The point is for the water to steam around the cake, right? I'm sure someone know's why this isn't an option or it would already be the preferred method.

Melisa December 16, 2018
I've been making several cheesecake now, the first time turn out perfect, but after that's been disturbing..my cheesecake base always soggy eventhough already try ashleemarie technic which put the water pan in the bottom rack.. please help me out:(

Diana B. November 25, 2016
Glad you salvaged it! I think this is a common problem with the kind of pan cheesecakes are baked in, so I always wrap my pans in foil to keep the water out.

kahs October 27, 2012
Thanks so much for the prompt and helpful ideas. I ended up using ChefOno's idea, since it was the fastest/least labor intensive option, and it turned out well! The crust wasn't as crisp as it should have been, but was still good and edible (it helps that it was chocolate, probably). No leftovers, so I think my guests enjoyed it!

Nhkitty October 25, 2016
I tried ChefOns's idea, and it was disastrous! My guests will just have to see/eat the other side of the cheesecake, soggy crust and all! From what I have eaten from the fallout, this pumpkin cheesecake tastes amazing!

Amanda H. October 26, 2012
Let us know what you ended up doing! How did it go? I hope well.

ATG117 October 26, 2012
I'd probably scrape off the crust and make either a chocolate sauce or berry compote to cover everything that was under the crust.

ChefOno October 26, 2012
I'd transfer the cheesecake to a stack of paper towels which should wick away the moisture. Taste shouldn't be a problem.

Doreen November 25, 2016
I tried this method and it worked great. Thanks.

Amanda H. October 26, 2012
Hmm. This is a tough one -- and we've all been there! If it's just a bottom crust, you might consider not serving the crust part. As you cut slices, just stop when you hit the crust, so you're serving, essentially, cheese custard. No one is going to ask "Where's my crust!" so don't worry.

Nili October 26, 2012
If the water only made the crust soggy then I think your cake should still taste good. You could replace the crust with crushed nuts or cookies or even graham crackers to get the crunch back. I would carefully scrape the soggy crust away from the sides and press in something new. If the bottom is also soggy you could lay some of the replacement on a plate and slide the cake right on top. You could even use crushed up candy (it being close to Halloween). Heath bars, peppermint bark or nut brittle come to mind. If it looks like the replacement crust isn't going to stick to the sides of the cake after the scraping you could apply some frosting or whipped cream to act as glue. If you use nuts I would suggest toasting them before crushing and applying to the cake. Cookies or graham crackers could be crushed (not too finely) and tossed with a little melted butter to get them to stick. It won't be identical to the baked cracker crust but cheesecake+crunchy stuff is good regardless.