Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Freezing Cheesecake

I plan to make this cheesecake and freeze it. https://food52.com/recipes.... Is there any advantage one way the other to removing it from the springform pan before freezing or just freezing it (wrapped, of course) in the pan? Freezer space is not an issue and, since I need to travel with it, I think keeping it in the pan will be safer. Thanks for any insight!

asked by Tarragon about 2 years ago

I have experience but no chemistry knowledge. I've frozen lots of pastries made of full-fat dairy and crumb or pastry bottoms and never had an issue. Don't see why you CAN'T successfully freeze.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Knowing that frozen cheesecakes at the grocery store thaw okay, I would suggest you don't need to keep it in the springform. I would freeze it in the pan, then remove, wrap in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer that way.
Simply let it thaw on your presentation plate as you travel.

I would not suggest freezing in the pan. I'd take the sides off, wrap it well and freeze. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. I didn't look at the recipe, but cheesecakes with a large amount of sour cream can have a funny texture after being frozen. Top the cheesecake after defrosting and don't freeze longer than 30 days.

I used to have a little wholesale cheesecake business and rather than not receive their deliveries, the restaurants and grocery stores chose to buy the frozen desserts when I took a few days off. My delivery/chocolate chopper/egg cracker/cake slicer guy would just top them, slice them and deliver.

It is easier to top them with the sides of the pan on, so you could snap it back on and then top it.

I looked at the recipe. 1/4 cup sour cream is not too much, so it will freeze well. No topping involved, so you are good to go.

Susan makes an important point here-the key is to defrost, still wrapped, in the refrigerator. That will prevent condensation forming on your cheesecake, rather than defrosting on the counter.

Thank you all so much - I think I am good to go on my cheesecake strategy!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

To your question about using the pan for protection when you travel - once it's defrosted, keeping it wrapped in plastic, you might see if you can slip the pan back around it. I've done this to transport other cakes baked in a springform. May depend on your springform pan - mine opens pretty widely, so it's possible to 're-apply' without damaging the cake, but you might try, gingerly.

Thank you Amy Sarah, that is a good idea. Actually, I will be traveling by car Wednesday night, and was thinking of taking the frozen cheesecake in a cooler so that it starts defrosting while we are on the road. My preference is to keep it in the springform for the trip. I think I will freeze it at home out of the pan, then replace it into the pan for its trip in the cooler.