🔕 🔔

Buttercream Frosting too sweet

I had prepared a cake and the buttercream frosting is too sweet,I would like to make it little less sweet, is there way I can do this. If I whip up some eggwhites and fold them in will that be alright. Please help.

asked by PistachioDoughnut about 5 years ago

82bc15be d3cf 410a 9b82 665e7b26bd26  1081
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Adding meringue make make it too soft. You can beat in more soft butter or some cream cheese to help lower the sweetness level. This should increase the amount of frosting you have and decrease the concentration of sugar, but will still keep the buttercream consistency.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

You could also try adding a flavored extract to offset the sweetness

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

You can add a little lemon juice.

7c4e3778 a9ef 4b22 a4b5 bb759212c530  dsc 6356

Okay folks, I didn't really wish to add cream cheese but guess what I finally added cream cheese. It was good not too crazy sweet. The actual recipe called for veg shortening, which I was not keen to use. Do you all like vegetable shortening in frosting..yay or nay..

Thanks for the suggestions..

Ab9d2a69 fd04 4f27 85cb e95e8e70c8c5  avatar

I usually add a dash or two of salt.

I was surprised how easy it was. I just gradually added (whipping)cream until it tasted mellower and delicious.