Buttercream Frosting too sweet

I had prepared a cake and the buttercream frosting is too sweet,I would like to make it little less sweet, is there way I can do this. If I whip up some eggwhites and fold them in will that be alright. Please help.

asked by PistachioDoughnut about 6 years ago

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Adding meringue make make it too soft. You can beat in more soft butter or some cream cheese to help lower the sweetness level. This should increase the amount of frosting you have and decrease the concentration of sugar, but will still keep the buttercream consistency.

You could also try adding a flavored extract to offset the sweetness

Dona

You can add a little lemon juice.

PistachioDoughnut

Okay folks, I didn't really wish to add cream cheese but guess what I finally added cream cheese. It was good not too crazy sweet. The actual recipe called for veg shortening, which I was not keen to use. Do you all like vegetable shortening in frosting..yay or nay..

PistachioDoughnut

Thanks for the suggestions..

RedDog

I usually add a dash or two of salt.

I was surprised how easy it was. I just gradually added (whipping)cream until it tasted mellower and delicious.