A question about a recipe: Peach Pie Ice Cream

8f888765 6635 4c5c b125 e1bfcfbe1ba4  food52 07 24 12 7093

I have a question about the ingredient "almond or cashew butter (optional)" on the recipe "Peach Pie Ice Cream" from Gena Hamshaw. How can I replace this ingredient?

asked by JessicaMKalber about 6 years ago

It's an optional ingredient--you can just leave it out.

former Community Editor

I think you also asked about replacing the coconut oil, but the thread seems to have disappeared. If you can't find coconut oil, I would try the recipe without it. Attempting to substitute with a different oil will result in a softer ice cream since coconut oil is a solid at room temperature (or colder).

JessicaMKalber

Thank you for the answer! But do you think it would work without the coconut oil and the almond or cashew butter?

I'm quite sure that you'll be fine without the almond or cashew butter, but I disagree a little bit with Lindsay-Jean about the coconut oil, which seems like it's included to help brown the peaches. If you don't care about keeping the dish vegan, you might use butter. Otherwise, I'd suggest brushing the peaches with just a little bit of another oil.

former Community Editor

I missed that the coconut oil is there to help the peaches brown, so I completely agree with Greenstuff - if you're not vegan, I'd go with butter too!