A question about a recipe: Chicken & Lentil Cholent

47194b8e 443b 42aa 82fe 494672fd5e0e  chicken cholent

I have a question about the ingredient "Umbrian or du Puy lentils" on the recipe "Chicken & Lentil Cholent" from thirschfeld. what are umbrian and du Put lentils what other kinds can I substitiute

asked by tovah schild about 6 years ago

Both are small green lentils, the du Puy (from France) are the smaller of the two. The best Umbrian lentils are Casteluccio. Umbria is a region in the center of Italy. Possibly Tom will elaborate more on what he thinks would be best to substitute.

Lentils grown near Le Puy are small, peppery, and hold their shape when cooked. You could substitute beluga lentils, or just use regular lentils.

I've found brown masoor dal from Indian groceries to hold their shape as well as du Puy and Umbrian lentils do. And they're almost as tasty. In the absence of either, the plain brown ones (though they look sort of green sometimes in the bag) available from any supermarket should do just fine. They won't be the same, but they'll do. ;o)