Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I've grilled whole turkey on the grill a number of times - works a treat. You want indirect heat (a Weber-style kettle grill works great) and I found that the turkey cooked a fair bit more quickly than expected...that could be that it was in Australia and therefore a much smaller bird than what you get in the US.

I've smoked and/or grilled a bunch of turkeys ,and spatchcocked chickens are my usual on my Weber. I can't tell you how many holidays I've been without power and have been thinking that it would be Christmas on the grill. I think adapting the AntoniaJames turkey would be easy: indirect heat, the lid will make it nice and smoky.

Steven Raichlen
Steven Raichlen

Steven is the author of the best-selling Barbecue Bible and the host of two grilling TV shows: The Primal Grill and Barbecue University.

I have done it and while theoretically it's possible to direct grill it, I'd indirect grill it skin side up. Another cool way to cook turkey on the grill is to beer can it: use a Foster's "oil can" and a Weber charcoal grill rotisserie ring to raise the lid high enough to accommodate an upright bird.