making recipes sugar free

I'm new to your site. Do you have any suggestions for making your recipes sugar-free? Sugar and gluten both cause inflammation in my joints.

Voted the Best Reply!

FutureChef
FutureChef November 16, 2012

Stevia is a good natural substitute in some things. Dates and agave are also helpful but you should be careful and watch the consistency because of the liquid content of agave. It's also nice to just be creative when re-engineering recipes instead of a 1:1 substitute. Bananas and various other ripe in-season fruits, maple syrup, and honey can also be supplemented or used in tandem to replace sugar. If you have a specific recipe in mind, share it and I'm sure the food52 community would be happy to offer more specific suggestions.

susan g November 16, 2012

The site has many wonderful gluten free recipes, which you can find via the search box (upper left). You can narrow it down a bit by specifying what kind of thing you want to make.

HFicarra
HFicarra October 8, 2015

Can you bake without adding sugar substitutes? I do not like sugar and unfortunately too much sugar is used in baking so I am looking for a recipe that I can avoid adding sugar. Thank you

Lindsay-Jean Hard October 8, 2015

Check out the articles on the site by Joanne Chang (https://food52.com/users...), author of Baking with Less Sugar.