help! what's a substitute for port or brandy in recipes?

i'm hosting several people who can't have alcohol, and somehow my best recipes all use it--i'm substituting stock for white wine, but am defeated when it comes to port and brandy

asked by petrini.elisa about 6 years ago

mrscorkhoarder

i might try balsamic or sherry vinegar, depending on the way it's used, but i'd definitely use a lot less than however much port/brandy is called for and taste as you go... could also probably just omit them entirely?

Meatballs&Milkshakes

you can always leave out the alcohol and substitute stock or water. You might think about grape juice or cider if you think it might need extra flavor. I also like using mushroom stock or veal stock in meat dishes to give more flavor.

petrini.elisa

thank you!