🔕 🔔

Dry Brining a sodium injected Butterball turkey

I followed the "Judy Bird" directions and salted a 12 lbs frozen Butterball turkey last night. The only problem is that I just found out that Butterball injects their birds with a sodium solution. Should I go home and wash the salt off of the bird so I can try and keep it from being too salty?

asked by dfarron1 over 4 years ago

8e1a20a7 1500 40f0 ad58 818107a4b9ad  540434 3765129049943 1219987725 n

I would recommend removing the salt with a paper towel when you get home tonight, or rinse it off (you have plenty of time to dry it!) Better to have an over-salted bird than an under-salted one.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Hi dfarron, yes I would rinse it off to be on the safe side. Butterball is basically attempting to do the brining for you. Good catch!