Will dry Brining a Frozen Butterball Turkey be too salty?

Will dry Brining a 12 lbs. Frozen Butterball Turkey result in an overly salty bird? I put the salt on the turkey last night and I need to know if I should go home and wash the salt off the bird before it ruins it. I have searched all over the internet and there is no definitive answer to this question.

asked by dfarron1 almost 6 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

You should be just fine! We find that 1 T of salt for every 5 pounds of bird works the best, and actually, a frozen bird works great with this method. Here it is, in full, for reference: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

dfarron1

My question is more specifically referring to the salt solution that Butterball injects into the bird and whether or not this in conjunction with the dry brine will cause the bird to be overly salty. Russ Parsons does say that it works well with a frozen turkey but he doesn't address a frozen turkey with a salt solution injection, does this make a difference?

dfarron1

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

It should be fine defrosting while brining in the fridge for <24hr; the "Judy Bird" on here (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) goes for 3 whole days.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

"while brining in the fridge for less than 24 hours," sorry

dfarron1

So you are saying that instead of brining it for 3 days I should only keep the salt on a sodium injected Butterball turkey for 24 hours or less?

Jennifer Mileta

I'm wondering the same thing myself. How did it turn out?

Cook's Science
Cook's Science

The Cook's Science Team believes good science makes great food. Our new book, Cook's Science, explores the science behind 50 of our favorite ingredients.

Hi - All Butterballs are injected with a sodium solution (the equivalent of brining) and at America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Science (www.cooksscience.com) we never recommend brining or salting these pretreated birds or you risk them becoming too salty. You can sprinkle a little extra salt and pepper on the skin, but don't go for the full dry brine.

- Dan Souza