Will dry Brining a Frozen Butterball Turkey be too salty?

Will dry Brining a 12 lbs. Frozen Butterball Turkey result in an overly salty bird? I put the salt on the turkey last night and I need to know if I should go home and wash the salt off the bird before it ruins it. I have searched all over the internet and there is no definitive answer to this question.

• Posted by: dfarron1
  • November 19, 2012

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur November 19, 2012

You should be just fine! We find that 1 T of salt for every 5 pounds of bird works the best, and actually, a frozen bird works great with this method. Here it is, in full, for reference: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

dfarron1
dfarron1 November 19, 2012

My question is more specifically referring to the salt solution that Butterball injects into the bird and whether or not this in conjunction with the dry brine will cause the bird to be overly salty. Russ Parsons does say that it works well with a frozen turkey but he doesn't address a frozen turkey with a salt solution injection, does this make a difference?

dfarron1
dfarron1 November 19, 2012

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale November 19, 2012

It should be fine defrosting while brining in the fridge for <24hr; the "Judy Bird" on here (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) goes for 3 whole days.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale November 19, 2012

"while brining in the fridge for less than 24 hours," sorry

dfarron1
dfarron1 November 19, 2012

So you are saying that instead of brining it for 3 days I should only keep the salt on a sodium injected Butterball turkey for 24 hours or less?

Jennifer Mileta
Jennifer Mileta November 22, 2016

I'm wondering the same thing myself. How did it turn out?

Cook's Science
Cook's Science November 22, 2016

Hi - All Butterballs are injected with a sodium solution (the equivalent of brining) and at America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Science (www.cooksscience.com) we never recommend brining or salting these pretreated birds or you risk them becoming too salty. You can sprinkle a little extra salt and pepper on the skin, but don't go for the full dry brine.

- Dan Souza