Do I really need to rinse my dry brined turkey?

I am dry brining my (first ever!) turkey per a mixture of recipes and recommendations (food52, bon appetit, Martha). I've got my bird comfortably resting in a brining bag, but I really really don't want to rinse it before roasting tomorrow.

To me rinsing poultry is awful. All of the raw turkey juices splashing around my kitchen really freaks me out. And with a big bird and a small sink, the problem is even worse.

If I don't rinse is my turkey going to be way too super salty? Can I just brush off the excess salt instead?

asked by JessicaHansen over 4 years ago

If you are really averse to washing down the turkey in your sink, then try using a wet towel to remove the brine. It will be rather salty if left on

Brette Warshaw

No need to rinse at all! Just pat it dry with paper towels and you're all set.

Pamela731

I usually do not rinse anything that I brine; however, cleaning up after working with poultry or any raw meats and fish is not that difficult. Once the bird is finished being prepped, I take a cup of Clorox and some hot soapy water, then wipe everything down, and Allie to air-dry

ChefOno

Jessica, your instincts are right on. Not only is rinsing poultry unnecessary, it's downright dangerous and every food safety organization I know recommends against it. Simply pat dry with paper towels. Any excess salt or brine will be removed (along with the moisture which is contrary to browning).

Standard sanitizing solution: 1 Tbs. bleach (6% sodium hypochlorite) per quart of water

Now if we can just get rid of the term "dry brine".

ChefOno

I should add: If the bird comes out too salty, it wouldn't be for the lack of rinsing. The vast majority of salt will have penetrated deep into the flesh which is of course what it was designed to do. Just use less salt next time.