Substituting Cornstarch for Flour In Polvorones; Other Recipes?

I've just made a batch of Polvorones (similar to or = to Mex Wedding Cakes) using equal amounts of ground pecans and cornstarch, a little sugar, and butter and vanilla. They get coated w/ conf. sugar. They are melt-in-your-mouth delicate lovely and their mouthfeel is , oddly enough, lard-like. Have you experienced that mouthfeel w/ a recipe like this? Is there any reason one would not want to use cornstarch in a cookie recipe? I'm wondering: this dough is kind of like a pie dough but is too wet/soft to be used for that. But could cornstarch be substituted for flour in other baking recipes and what would be the result?Just curious! TIA

asked by LE BEC FIN almost 6 years ago

jsdunbar

My inherited shortbread recipe uses equal parts cornstarch & flour. I've assumed the cornstarch is what makes the shortbreads melt in the mouth.