🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Not-Too-Virtuous Salad with Caramelized Apple Vinaigrette

25b7e33f f916 4460 bd1c e4193a20f201  011811f 313

I have a question about the recipe "Not-Too-Virtuous Salad with Caramelized Apple Vinaigrette" from wanderash. Any suggestions on making this vegetarian-friendly, to satisfy the vegetarians at Thanksgiving? Should I just put the lardons on the side, or is there something I can substitute with?

asked by linzarella almost 5 years ago

De461e32 fb58 4b86 a0f9 55234ca13ab5  headshot
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

I think this salad would still be fantastic and refreshing without the bacon. There's still a lot of different flavors and textures going on as a meatless version- if you think some of your guests would prefer the lardons you could definitely serve them on the side.

I've made it both with and without bacon. It's delicious both ways! Yes, put the lardons on the side for people who want them. I'd probably put some toasted pumpkin seeds in or as an optional add-on it, too, if leaving out the bacon. Your guests will love it!! ;o) P.S. Gee, now I'm thinking about adding it to my menu, too. It is so, so good, and perfect for a holiday meal.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

AJ, Pumpkin seeds is a great idea, I think that's exactly what I'm going to do, and just leave out the lardons entirely since we already have them in a few other dishes. By the way, I first had (& fell for) this salad when Amanda & Merrill came to Omnivore Books...if I remember correctly, it was you who made it and I couldn't stop eating it!