🔕 🔔

What's the difference between crystallized ginger and (uncrystallized) candied ginger?

asked by monkeymom almost 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I think they are the same thing - I have bought it labeled both ways and used it interchangeably ...

Nope I am wrong! crystallized ginger is first dried then coated in sugar, candied ginger is poached in simple sugar then coated in sugar. I still use them interchangeably :-)

D1964e69 bde7 422d 9621 9d8c1f7bc3cf  newliztoqueicon 2

Boy, I think the only difference is rolling the candied ginger in sugar and calling it "crystallized"...

It depends a lot of who's packaged and sold it, how fresh it is, etc.. I've seen so much variation in the hardness, sweetness, etc. of all kinds of ginger labelled variously (and dubiously, she said somewhat critically) as crystallized, candied, etc. ginger. Most crystallized ginger that I get is fairly soft and slightly gummy, but very juicy and almost as hot/spicy as fresh, but then, I'm lucky to get good stuff from a great vendor. ;o)

If you can't find a good version locally, you can order it from the Ginger People - and as a bonus the package comes with an awesome cookie recipe on the back!