My 22# fresh turkey has just jumped into his brine. I'm stuffing it and not sure how long to roast it and the temp.

The tag on the bird only gives times for unstuffed turkeys. Also what is Elton Browns brine recipe?

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci November 21, 2012

I think 325 is a standard temperature for roasting turkeys. The USDA suggests roasting a 20-24 lb. stuffed turkey for 4¾ to 5¼ hours. It's very important to check the temperature by sticking the thermometer into the deepest part of the the thigh (but don't touch the bone), you want it to read 165ºF.

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci November 21, 2012

For more safety tips from the USDA, you can check here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov...
And I'm not sure, but this might be the Alton Brown brine recipe you're looking for: http://www.foodnetwork...
Hope that helps!

soupcon
soupcon November 21, 2012

12 minutes a pound for turkeys over 15 lbs and 15 minutes a lb for turkeys under 15 lbs. assuming the stuffing is already cooked (like bread stuffing) and all you are doing is heating it up. Internal temp between the thigh and the breast should be 165*F.

Sue A.
Sue A. November 21, 2012

I would suggest cooking the stuffing separately from the bird. In order to be safe to eat the internal temperature of the stuffing must reach 165 degrees. The turkey, even though brined, may be overlooked when the stuffing reaches its correct cooking temp.

Sue A.
Sue A. November 21, 2012

I mean over cooked - not overlooked.

SMSF
SMSF November 21, 2012

I second the idea of not stuffing the bird, not only from a temp/safety/overdone bird issue, but the stuffing may absorb too much salt from the turkey.