bitter pumpkin

How can I avoid bitterness in pumpkin. Tried to make pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin pulp but the pumpkin was bitter after baking.

asked by Debbie Moffitt almost 6 years ago

Not sure I've ever had this happen before -- what kind of pumpkin were you using? And what temp did you bake at?

Debbie Moffitt

I used a "sugar pumpkin" from whole foods and baked it at 350 degrees. Could it have been mislabeled or green?

Panfusine

Wonder if this bitterness is related to what happens with some cucumbers and snake gourd melons..The odd ones end up being bitterly inedible.

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I think the issue may be the type of pumpkin you used. For those who want to use fresh pumpkin vs. canned puree, here's an interesting exploration of what kinds of squash work best:
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

Debbie Moffitt

The link is very helpful. Thanks.