🔕 🔔

bitter pumpkin

How can I avoid bitterness in pumpkin. Tried to make pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin pulp but the pumpkin was bitter after baking.

asked by Debbie Moffitt about 5 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Not sure I've ever had this happen before -- what kind of pumpkin were you using? And what temp did you bake at?

I used a "sugar pumpkin" from whole foods and baked it at 350 degrees. Could it have been mislabeled or green?

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Wonder if this bitterness is related to what happens with some cucumbers and snake gourd melons..The odd ones end up being bitterly inedible.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I think the issue may be the type of pumpkin you used. For those who want to use fresh pumpkin vs. canned puree, here's an interesting exploration of what kinds of squash work best:
http://dinersjournal.blogs...

The link is very helpful. Thanks.