🔕 🔔

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Here's a recipe from the New York Times for an Umbrian chickpea soup. I've never made it but it looks quite good

C6154d92 6509 47b4 a328 e9e9eff2552d  garden me
Pamela Sheldon Johns

Pamela Sheldon Johns is the author of numerous cookbooks, the most recent being Cucina Povera: Tuscan Peasant Cooking. She lives at

Hello Maedl, Though ceci are found all over Italy, you're right that the ceci neri come from the south. I have had them with pasta, stewed, and mixed with other legumes such as lentils, but I also love them puréed in a velvety soup. In the summer they make a delicious salad especially colored up with bits of red and yellow pepper. In this holiday season, I think they would be stunning served in a piece of roasted pumpkin! Here is a little video of my recipe for simple stewed (not black, but will work with black) ceci. This is from my recent book Cucina Povera, Tuscan Peasant Cooking.