Cece Nero - Black Chick Peas

I bought black chick peas, a 'heritage' variety of chick peas, grown near Altamura, in Puglia. I
googled recipes and it looks like they are made in the same manner as regular chick peas, except they need to soak longer. Before I plunge in, anyone have any recipe suggestions? I am looking for southern Italian recipes, not Indian. Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

• Posted by: Maedl
  • November 22, 2012

Monita November 22, 2012

Here's a recipe from the New York Times for an Umbrian chickpea soup. I've never made it but it looks quite good
http://www.nytimes.com...

Pamela Sheldon Johns
Pamela Sheldon Johns December 4, 2012

Hello Maedl, Though ceci are found all over Italy, you're right that the ceci neri come from the south. I have had them with pasta, stewed, and mixed with other legumes such as lentils, but I also love them puréed in a velvety soup. In the summer they make a delicious salad especially colored up with bits of red and yellow pepper. In this holiday season, I think they would be stunning served in a piece of roasted pumpkin! Here is a little video of my recipe for simple stewed (not black, but will work with black) ceci. This is from my recent book Cucina Povera, Tuscan Peasant Cooking.