🔕 🔔

Belgian vs. Regular Waffle Maker -- Which one should I buy?

I want to buy myself a waffle maker, but can't figure out if I should get a belgian or a regular. I like belgian waffles a little better, but it seems like there are other uses of a regular waffle maker (like making hashbrowns) and I'm not sure how well the Belgian waffle makers do with those. Opinions?

asked by fearlessem over 5 years ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

I tried to maximize versatility with my waffle maker and got one with removable plates, one side regular and one side for pizzelles. I've never switched to the pizzelle side of the plates.

So I'd stick with what you really like and go with the Belgian. Most waffle makers don't get used all that much any way, and probably aren't the appliance to try and get multiple uses out of.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would consider the regular waffle maker with reversible plates. When you desire a Belgian waffle - go out !

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

My experience parallels Lindsay's and has led me to believe you can make better waffles in a dedicated waffle maker and better pizzelle with a separate, dedicated tool. And there are definately better ways to make hash browns than in a waffle maker.

Life is too short to eat wimpy waffles, indulge when you indulge! And after you've mastered the American version, be sure to explore Gaufres de Bruxelles (yeast-raised Brussels Waffles) and especially Gaufres de Liège.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Gaufres for non Belgophiles just means waffle in Belgium. I don't know of a specifically Belgian made maker sold in the US but perhaps someone else does. My Black & Decker works just fine. A friend of mine lived in Belgium for some time and pointed out a couple of things that have helped me; they like them quite crispy and they are not necessarily just for breakfast.
Recently I did a month long merc job as breakfast cook in a rather posh B&B. At the beginning the owner had to hover constantly. So I'm making what he calls "Belgian waffles" using his equipment. He comes over and say's "you're in trouble now." "Why's that?" "You didn't use the spray." Me, "Watch this" and pop, pop, pop they all came off the NON-STICK plates perfectly done. It was after he kept "fixing" my breakfast plates with dried parsley flakes and meatloaf seasoning that the conclusion became obvious.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I have a regular waffle maker that doesn't get a lot of use. The waffles are thin and small and therefore a little sad. Belgian waffles seem much more fun!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I would look for the highest- rated brand/model, whether Belgian or conventional. You can always follow a good recipe for Belgian waffles using a conventional waffler and get the flavor you're looking for in as long as the appliance works well.

Thanks everyone -- you convinced me to go with my favorite kind of waffle, so I purchased a very reasonably priced and very highly rated Belgian waffle maker... Can't wait until it arrives in the mail!

87fcd76c 5f6d 462c a5b5 45b4342898b9  fb avatar

Yes a Belgian Waffle Maker can be used to make the same way as a standard waffle maker for many alternate uses. Many of the videos I've been watching have actually been in Belgian Waffle Makers. If you are one of the many with insufficient kitchen space for all the single-use gadgets one can accumulate over the years, learning new techniques using tools already in your possession can bring a little joie de vivre back into the kitchen.