Thawed turkey

How long will a thawed turkey be SAFE to eat. Turkey was placed in fridge frozen last Wednesday and I want to cook it this Saturday. The turkey weighs 21 lbs. By the way, the turkey is still in it's plastic coveringThanks

asked by jon407 almost 6 years ago

It will depend on a few factors, including how cold your fridge is, and how fresh the turkey was when it was frozen (presumably pretty fresh). At that size, it should have taken about 5-6 days to thaw in the fridge. It may be fine, or it may not -- good news is: you'll know it's bad if it smells off. I would unwrap it tomorrow, leaving yourself enough time to replace it or go to plan B if it smells bad.

jon407

We lived and no one became ill. Whew!