🔕 🔔

Best way to slice kumquats

Hi. I have never used kumquats for anything, but today I received five pounds that I want to candy and then preserve. Does anyone know if I can use a mandolin to slice the lot or are they too fragile and must be sliced by hand?

asked by ukimmeru almost 5 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I always slice kumquats by hand. They're a little too squidgy for the mandoline. Candied kumquats are so delicious!

44f9ea1e 45a8 4ce1 b893 b8192c186dcf  open uri20121010 19560 7ckhkl 0

They're pretty sturdy little fruits - they should work fine on the mandolin. Also: I'm jealous.

Trust mrslarkin over me :-)

Efb8e45b e2cc 45bf b555 5f4811196493  headshot

Thank you all! Just finished the first batch. They are, indeed, a little tricky with the seeds. The serrated knife did indeed work the best. I may seek out a recipe that uses them whole. :)

I have seen whole candied kumquats, so that might be a bit easier. Marmelade might be good, too. It is a lot of work, but you can usually spread it over several days. Five pounds is a lot of kumquats!

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

I have a whole tree producing kumquats, but at least the time is staggered so I can start with cranberry relish and end with cakes in March. I slice in half and then use bamboo skewers to remove the seeds (lets the kids get involved). If you have any left try my Leftover-Turkey Kumquat Shiitake Quiche for something diffrent.