Best way to slice kumquats

Hi. I have never used kumquats for anything, but today I received five pounds that I want to candy and then preserve. Does anyone know if I can use a mandolin to slice the lot or are they too fragile and must be sliced by hand?

mrslarkin December 6, 2012

I always slice kumquats by hand. They're a little too squidgy for the mandoline. Candied kumquats are so delicious!

Ben Pagel
Ben Pagel December 6, 2012

They're pretty sturdy little fruits - they should work fine on the mandolin. Also: I'm jealous.

Ben Pagel
Ben Pagel December 6, 2012

Trust mrslarkin over me :-)

Voted the Best Reply!

ChezHenry
ChezHenry December 6, 2012

I use my smaller serrated tomato knife-its perfect for kumquats, and you can use the tip (designed to core the tomatoes) to easily flick out the seeds you encounter. It works so well for this I think it should be called a Kumquat Kutter :) I would be careful with a mandoline due to the seeds. When you hit one it may cause the kumquat to catch- the perfect way to cut yourself on a sharp mandoline.

ukimmeru
ukimmeru December 6, 2012

Thank you all! Just finished the first batch. They are, indeed, a little tricky with the seeds. The serrated knife did indeed work the best. I may seek out a recipe that uses them whole. :)

Maedl December 7, 2012

I have seen whole candied kumquats, so that might be a bit easier. Marmelade might be good, too. It is a lot of work, but you can usually spread it over several days. Five pounds is a lot of kumquats!

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo December 7, 2012

I have a whole tree producing kumquats, but at least the time is staggered so I can start with cranberry relish and end with cakes in March. I slice in half and then use bamboo skewers to remove the seeds (lets the kids get involved). If you have any left try my Leftover-Turkey Kumquat Shiitake Quiche for something diffrent.