A question about a recipe: Bacon and Date Scones

I have a question about the recipe "Bacon and Date Scones" from sugarmountaintreats. Step two says to whisk until fluffy, but only dry ingredients have been added so far. Is something missing?

De193468 4ee3 4295 bdcb a63ad2c1cf52  img 4160
Recipe question for: Bacon and Date Scones

Amanda Hesser December 8, 2012

I don't think anything is missing -- I think what sugarmountaintreats meant by "fluffy" is simply that the dry ingredients have been lightened and aerated by whisking them. (This, by the way, is a common "cheat" for sifting -- if you don't have a sifter, you can just whisk the dry ingredients). Hope the rest goes well!

George Bixby
George Bixby December 8, 2012

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. In case you haven't already guessed, I'm not much of a baker. The scones are in the oven now!

MrsK
MrsK August 30, 2013

George Bixby, how did you like the scones? Are they on the "salty" side?

George Bixby
George Bixby September 1, 2013

I love this recipe—it's a great mix of savory and sweet. I didn't find them too salty at all, I actually added slightly more bacon and dates than called for, the second time I made these.

MrsK
MrsK September 1, 2013

Mmm... That sounds very interesting! I was just afraid that, although the scones have bacon, they would be sweet--which I somehow find a bit strange. Thanks for your answer!