Is it possible to make amazing short ribs without using alcohol in the braising process? Any suggestions as to what to use?

boulangere December 10, 2012

You certainly don't have to use alcohol. The important point is to use an acid, and alcohols (wine, beer) are common and easy sources thereof. That said, tomatoes are an excellent substitute. I usually use both, but the one alone will give you great short ribs.

judybrune
judybrune December 10, 2012

Thank You!!! That's great info.

bigpan
bigpan December 10, 2012

Yes you can.
First, do you realize that you can boil the wine separately which leaves the taste without any alcohol !
Otherwise, just make sure your braising liquid has some flavor. Low salt chicken stock with some tomato paste. Add in your mirapoix veg and add water to get volume. Remember your liquid will intensify as it cooks down.
Strain and reduce to serve over the meat.

HalfPint December 10, 2012

Actually, you will not be able to remove all of the alochol. A small amount will always remain, no matter how long you boil it.

jsdunbar
jsdunbar December 11, 2012

I've never used alcohol! I use chili sauce with vinegar & brown sugar as my base for r short ribs. They are amazing - I think I'll put. short ribs on my shopping list

EmilyC
EmilyC December 11, 2012

Pomegranate juice also makes a good braising liquid for short ribs.

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria December 11, 2012

Hi Judy, Check out this hotline thread, in which this same question was asked. http://www.food52.com/hotline... Lots of great ideas were suggested.