Flavoring mayonnaise for lobster

I love the use of reduced lobster stock in this simple recipe: http://nyti.ms/REWmuE. What would you consider using to flavor the mayonnaise if you didn't want to serve it plain? There are no other major flavors to consider. Not too spicy - my good friends are older and don't want to risk giving anyone indigestion. Thanks

asked almost 6 years ago

cookbookchick

Maybe a little fresh tarragon?

I agree with cookbookchick, I add lemon zest and tarragon often to flavor the mayo.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I like fresh basil in mayo and would use the lemon juice rather than the vinegar in your recipe.

bugbitten

Lobster is so neutral that I think you could use any fresh herb or a combination. Just taste as you go. My own choice of herbs would depend on what I had in mind for the sides.

Saffron works for me with lobster.

bugbitten

Pierino, would that be saffron in the mayo or in the bouillon? Also Happy Holidays.

You could do it either way. Saffron disolved in bouillon brings out a nice color. But it's fine in the mayo if you are making it from scratch. I don't know all the details of the recipe so.... And yes, happy holidays back to you as well.

bugbitten

Double ditto.

IMHO..Lobster is best served with clarified butter.
If you're steaming it...add a 1/2 tsp of vanilla to the steaming water as a back note for the lobster. I know this doesn't answer your question---But I like classic lobster.

If you have a few little dipping bowls (Japaneese style like you'd get at tempanyaki place). You could both..or three. A ginger, mustard, soy sauce; a Flavored mayo; and clarified butter.

bigpan

Use whatever you like (above) in the mayo. If you want it to have a pink-rosey color like the lobster shells, add in a bit of carrot juice !

Thanks, everyone, for all the good ideas. I like the idea of offering some options!