🔕 🔔

What is raspberry pulp? Do I make it at home or buy it? Thank you

asked by KKool almost 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

What is the recipe you're following? The term is a little odd, but I'd imagine that refers to just a raspberry puree (which frozen raspberries would be great for).

To add to Kenzi's comment, assuming you'll puree the raspberries in a food processor or blender, a nice thing is to remove the seeds. After pureeing, pour raspberries into a wire mesh strainer over a bowl. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape the puree through the mesh, which will separate the seeds from the puree. (Do it slowly, it will take a little while.) Depending on how much you're making, you may need to rinse the strainer if it gets clogged.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Fruit pulp is typically the leftover -- well, pulp -- after juice has been extracted (say to make jelly). It is different and dryer than a puree or other full fruit blended product. If the fruit is a berry, it also typically includes the seeds.

I made a fair amount of jelly, so have quite a bit of pulp that needs a good use. KKook -- I'm very curious how the pulp is intended to be used? Do you have a recipe?

Sea-Jambon, I am trying to make a chocolate ganache but instead of cream use a raspberry pulp- a suggestion for a filling for chocolate pralines...

I'm worried that the raspberry puree is going to make the chocolate seize.

KKool - in that case, I don't think it is the type of "pulp" I described, and would go with a strained puree like Pegeen suggested. The pulp I described is very dry, so I don't see it as a good replacement for cream -- but a thick juice (like a strained puree) would seem a better choice. Good luck!! Raspberry and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations! Let us know if it works. :)