I am having 30 people for Thanksgiving with no help -- all brothers, no sisters LOL! I was thinking about making my turkeys on Wednesday and then either cutting the breast off whole and slicing on Thursday or slicing on Wednesday, drizzle with a little stock and gently reheat on Thanksgiving. I'm nervous, though. Anyone tried either method, hopefully successfully?

cheater chef
cheater chef November 23, 2010

Yes, it works. Have done it for years. Covered, low heat, little stock, you'll be fine. The real safeguard is to have plenty of gravy.

casa-giardino
casa-giardino November 23, 2010

I would do everything else on Wednesday, like stuffing and side dishes but cook my turnkeys on Thursday.

Food o' del Mundo
Food o' del Mundo November 23, 2010

My brother has done this for the last several years just as you describe, cooking and slicing the day before and reheat in the oven with stock. I had my doubts, but it was moist and delicious. The only thing you miss is the smell of a roasted turkey wafting through the house. But since you won't be having any help with the dinner I say go for it! I too have a family full of brothers and and there is absolutely NO help in the kitchen.

betteirene
betteirene November 23, 2010

That's how we did it at the truck stop I worked at, back in the 70s, 80s and into the 90s. Basically, customers got leftovers: Four whole turkeys and four bone-in, skin-on turkey breasts would be roasted very early on Wednesday, allowed to cool completely, then were cut into boneless sections and the chunks were placed into hotel pans, wrapped in foil and chilled.

Midmorning Thursday, the foil was removed and the turkey got misted with broth (diluted stock) from a spray bottle. The lid was placed on the pan and the pan was put in the steam table to heat gently until serving time. To prevent it from drying out, the meat wasn't sliced into serving portions until it was ordered.

The bones were turned into stock for the dressing and gravy, which were also prepared in Wednesday. This freed the ovens for baking the pies and biscuits very early Thursday morning.

susan g November 23, 2010

Well, you didn't ask me, but I am appalled that two of you are making huge dinners with no help!