Best way to reheat lobster?

We bought steamed whole lobsters yesterday and they have been in the fridge overnight. We'd like to eat them hot with butter tonight, what is the best way to reheat the lobsters?

• Posted by: Kim O
  • December 31, 2012

Voted the Best Reply!

Amanda Hesser December 31, 2012

You can pop them back in boiling water for a few minutes. Or:I would shell them while they're cold. Set the meat aside. Put the shells in a pot, cover with water and boil for 10 minutes. Then when it's dinner time, put the lobster meat in a saucepans cover with the lobster broth and a few tablespoons butter. Reheat gently over low heat. Use a slotted spoon to remove the lobster to plates. Serve with melted butter.

ChefOno
ChefOno December 31, 2012

Beurre monté -- the term may sound complicated but it's simply emulsified butter and its preparation is quick and easy. Thick and creamy rather than oily, it's the perfect compliment for lobster (and Brussels sprouts for that matter).

Boil a little water in the bottom of a saucepan, reduce the heat to low and begin whisking in unsalted butter, a little bit at a time. Once you have an emulsion started, continue adding butter until you have enough to almost cover your lobster meat. Throw in the lobster and let it warm though for five minutes or so. (The dish will hold over low heat while you coordinate the rest of the meal.)

Barton Seaver
Barton Seaver January 3, 2013

Amanda's comment is dead on! If you'd care to skip the step of making the lobster broth, heating the shelled meat in just a few tablespoons of water, butter, and lemon juice on low heat until heated through will also yield excellent results and prevent possible overcooking. Enjoy!

flash123
flash123 September 1, 2017

Add a few inches of water in a large pot . Place a vegetable steamer basket in the bottom. Put the lobsters on top, cover with a lid and turn the heat to high. When the water boils turn the heat off and let steam for about 4-5 mins or until they feel warm.