🔕 🔔

How long can I soak dried beans prior to cooking before doing them harm? Package of dried cranberry beans now soaking for 24 hours. Too lazy

asked by mvangraaf over 4 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

You can probably go another 8 hours but I would drain and change the water

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

That's a good question.

My personal experience is that I try not to soak them more than 24 hours, or if I do, I change the water after 24 hours and put them in the fridge for another day. You know, sometimes real life just gets in the way, I'm sure the beans would understand.

I don't know the specifics about beans, but I've read lots of recipes that involve sprouting the beans first (which is what will happen if they stay moist for more than a day or two). Some recipes even have you soak the beans for 2 days with a pinch of backing soda in the water. But I don't remember what kinds of beans they were.

I don't imagine anything bad would happen to the beans except maybe the water will get stale and stinky, which might impart a bad flavour to the beans. But if it were me, I would give them a rinse, some fresh water and tell them to sit tight until I'm read for them.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I've soaked beans up to 48 hours without harm (at which point, my beans we starting to sprout--unintentional!). Be warned: your beans will cook much faster than you're used to, when they're soaked for extra time. I think my 48 hour batch cooked in 20 minutes at the most.

F1531b55 0ce5 4282 9176 a43980607475  image

I have also had great success with the two day soak--just be sure to change the water once it comes to a boil and the sugars start to foam.

Growing up in New Orleans and having seen a lot of beans cooked I would say it's OK to soak them up to 24 hours. I also soak mine in chicken broth and spices. I like to infuse as much flavor as possible. Pound of dried beans, black Pepper, thyme, salt, pepper, onion powder, fresh garlic, garlic powder, 3 bay leaves 2 stalks celery, 1 medium onion, 1 carrot, 2 ham hocks (or to taste), 2 quarts boxed chicken stocked and 1 pound of cubed ham. The more hocks the stronger the smoky flavor. Empty your dried beans into the pot and take out all of the discolored ones and stones, soak overnight. Dice your celery, carrot and onion and add to your pot along with the hocks. Cook for 2 to 3 hours.

Some people where I come from put a roux in everything and yes even beans but it makes them way to thick and they have to add a lot of water which makes the taste well watery.

We serve ours with Jalapeno and Cheese Cornbread.

and by the way don't eat those beans. Even if you can't smell any peculiar odors or see bubbles they can still harbor harmful bacteria but if you cook them anyway it will kill the bacteria. Beans contain toxins naturally and never eat raw or soaked beans as only a few can make you very ill.

Sorry meant eat those beans if under 24 hours. lol First post here and got a little excited.