A question about a recipe: Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

00b2399c ea9b 4a4e bbbc f4bdc94c9e24  3yeyhpo7fj tel fn b8oizkcioi0dndaw7pz ogs70

I have a question about the recipe "Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili" from Gena Hamshaw. I really don't like sweet potatoes. What could I substitute for them in this recipe? Mushrooms? Something else? It's not just a matter of taste, I suppose, but texture.

asked by louisez almost 6 years ago

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Do you like regular potatoes? Tofu? Celery root might be kinda funky but good...It's delicious when roasted!

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

You might also try parsnips or carrots, if those don't bother you, or cubed butternut squash.

louisez

Parsnips or carrots -- or parsnips and carrots -- are a great suggestion. (I'm sad to say I'm not a fan of squash.) Thanks for the suggestions.

I think mangoes might be a good substitute--they would add the sweetness that you wuld get from sweet potatoes.

bugbitten

Jerusalem artichokes?

louisez

That's also a great idea. Thanks!