What causes macarons to sticke to parchment paper?

I just made macarons for the first time and everything was great, they look good with nice feet, except I can't get them off the parchment paper. What should I do when this happens next time?

asked by anthngn over 5 years ago

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Try using a silpat, it's non-stick. Also use a small off-set spatula to remove them, don't pull. That should help! Or, they could be slightly underbaked (by a minute or so).

They stick because there is no fat in macarons. If you use the right side of the parchment, it should peel off without incident. Or use a silpat, as suggested above.

greg

as a chef, many people will trust you, as i wanted to the moment i saw the text under your name. however, i do not trust your suggestion. i have seen chefs and many people including teens make macarons that don't stick to their parchment paper. can you help me figure that out, instead of telling me about the fat content? here's why i don't trust your suggestion: every macaron made in the world is trying to keep every bit of oil off of every utensil they use, so as not to ruin the meringue. but billions of those macarons aren't sticking. in fact, they almost *moonwalk* off of the parchment paper. can you help me get there by showing me how those billions of macarons aren't sticking, but with parchment paper?

Pastry Craft

Macarons contain a lot of sugar and that sugar bakes onto the parchment or silpat (non-stick baking mat) causing the macarons to stick. The best way to remove macarons easily is: Have some boiling water on the stove while the macarons are baking. Immediately after removing the macarons from the oven, lift one corner of the parchment and pour a small amount of boiling water under the parchment. Pick up the cookie sheet and let the boiling water run under the entire parchment (careful not to let the macarons get wet). The steam from the water will release the macarons easily. Remove the macarons immediately to a cooking rack.

Rachelwrites

Sometimes they will stick if they are underbaked. What temp are you baking at and for how long?

Rachelwrites

Dang it! I fell prey to an ancient question thread.