ktr
ktr

I haven't frozen pastries like this before so I can't say for sure, but I would shy away from baking and then freezing them. I would either make and then freeze the dough, or make the pastries all the way up to the baking stage and then freeze them. Then just take them out of the freezer and let them thaw before baking them.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I might offer another possibility:
Make & shape pastries raw, freeze first. Then thaw/temper and bake, and glaze the day your will eat them. Although you can skip the glaze - glazing danishes, in general, is meant to keep them shelf-stable and glowing, to tempt customers. I never really understood shellacking a crispy pastry - it seems counter intuitive to pleasure, but that just might be me overthinking it all. Also a lot of glaze out there is pretty gloopy/gloppy, so I stay away from it unless I'm making it myself.

You can always freeze what you have baked, and re-crisp in the oven before eating, but that sort of defeats the home-made pastry-ness. Danish dough is a lot of hard work. If it were me as your eater, I would rather the former than the latter. Good for you for making danishes from scratch! I commend you.

Melusine

Thank you very much for the third option -- that one completely escaped me. I'll also use this response as the reason for NOT making an overly-sweet powdered sugar glaze.