🔕 🔔

Can I sub half and half for heavy cream in chocolate mousse?

asked by pollygirl over 4 years ago

82bc15be d3cf 410a 9b82 665e7b26bd26  1081
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

If the cream is whipped, you will need heavy cream. Half and half doesn't have enough fat to incorporate air and become thick and airy like heavy cream.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

It depends on the recipe. If you're supposed to whip the heavy cream and fold it in, well half and half won't whip, so you'll end up with floppy mousse: still yummy I'm sure, but texturally off. If you're looking for a decadent mousse experiment, to my mind, you can't go wrong with the "genius recipe" for Herve This's mousse on this site.