🔕 🔔

how do you make a really good shepherds pie?

asked by @ajlittler about 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Here are two from the site that you might try:

27deb974 3b33 4f19 b966 dc79321a31b1  photo for web

This was my mom's recipe. And you can use whatever meat you's like-
http://sowhatareyoumakingfordinner...

05f85a75 2eae 4f98 beff 097893e030d7  img 6032

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Think like a shepard . . we are talking lamb. The original was made from lamb. Now keep thinking like a shepard . . they did not have a meat grinder, instead they would cut the lamb into small dice and cook very slowly to break down the dice into shreds ( much like real Southwest chili is made). If you start this way as a base, use a recipe for all the other bits, you will end up with the best shepard's pie ever. My recipe is never the same every time, except for the lamb, since I use what come out of my garden at what time of the year.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

try this recipe http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Afcf9e8d db0f 4f4e 93b9 7ab0163e332c  52

I'm down with what usuba dashi say's here. Fortunately I live in lamb country, and I'm able to buy really good fresh lamb locally as opposed to the stuff from Australia and NZ which sells at Costco and smells "off" from the moment you open the package. While I do approve of the "snipping" technique I do actually grind my own and season it by hand.