Ribs in the oven at 250, do I keep them fat side up the whole time?

asked by Rebecca Rachelson Kanov over 5 years ago

Rachel,Myers

Don't mess with them, leave them be. They will be fine.

WileyP

You bet! If you turn the fat side down, the fat simply drips off the ribs and goes to waste. Keep the fat side up because you want that fat to slowly render down over the meat, keeping it moist and imparting that succulent pork-fat flavor. Slurp!

bigpan

I cover with foil and drain the fat every couple hours. They should be falling off the bone in 5-6 hours. Mix in your BBQ sauce for the last hour.
(I pre cut into serving sizes of two-bone pieces before cooking.)
You can also do same method with whole or half racks and transfer to a BBQ grill for last hour with the sauce - but then you have two things to clean up and they will taste the same either way.