A Q about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

okay to use plum tomatoes? and they need their skins removed, too?

asked by fuhsi almost 7 years ago

I use plum tomatoes all the time and always remove the skins. This recipe sounds great!

fuhsi

Okay! will do, and thank you, sdebrango, and Amanda too, for her video- think it's a great idea to show in motion...

Yes, I think ripe plum tomatoes are actually considered ideal sauce tomatoes -- our farmers market just had those amazing beefsteaks that I couldn't resist.

This is what Marcella calls for: "fresh, ripe plum tomatoes (or other varieties, if they are equally ripe and truly fruity, not watery)".

Helen's All Night Diner

I've made this several times, usually with whatever variety of tomato I have on hand. All versions are wonderful!