🔕 🔔

A Q about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

okay to use plum tomatoes? and they need their skins removed, too?

asked by fuhsi over 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I use plum tomatoes all the time and always remove the skins. This recipe sounds great!

F246bb01 f193 4693 aa2f a6419a68980a  wwrake lrcrpd

Okay! will do, and thank you, sdebrango, and Amanda too, for her video- think it's a great idea to show in motion...

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Yes, I think ripe plum tomatoes are actually considered ideal sauce tomatoes -- our farmers market just had those amazing beefsteaks that I couldn't resist.

This is what Marcella calls for: "fresh, ripe plum tomatoes (or other varieties, if they are equally ripe and truly fruity, not watery)".

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I've made this several times, usually with whatever variety of tomato I have on hand. All versions are wonderful!