How long can I store whey? And can it be frozen?

I would like to bake bread with whey leftover from making ricotta but I don't have time to do it today. Will the whey keep in the fridge? And for how long? Can I freeze it?

• Posted by: Sweets
  • March 12, 2013

Voted the Best Reply!

AntoniaJames March 12, 2013

It will hold for about a week in the fridge and for about three months in the freezer. Great idea to use it in bread! It's also fabulous in pancakes, for cooking mashed potatoes, and especially, to replace the water when cooking polenta! (I have a recipe here for that.) ;o) P.S. If you use it for cooking potatoes, save it and use the potato starch enriched whey in bread! It's amazing.

Joanne Nilsson
Joanne Nilsson July 8, 2018

If you're making yoghurt and cheese daily you take a cup out of the saved whey and add a cup of the fresh whey this starter culture will last 2weeks. Don't mix cheese whey with yoghurt whey, keep in separate containers. No need for freezing.